Montgomery College Excalibur

MC Movie: The Hate U Give

Back to Article
Back to Article

MC Movie: The Hate U Give

The Hate U Give image

The Hate U Give image

The Hate U Give image

The Hate U Give image

Lauren Favre, Staff Writer

The Institute for Race, Justice, and Civic Engagement, directed by Montgomery College Professor Vincent Intondi, is a Montgomery College organization dedicated to social justice, supporting students from underrepresented and marginalized groups. On Monday, February 25th, the institute hosted the new film, The Hate U Give.

The Hate U Give movie poster

The Hate U Give movie poster

Amandla Stenberg, well-known for her role as Rue in The Hunger Games (2012), plays Starr Carter, a teenager struggling to balance her “double life.” The Carter family lives in Garden Heights, a poor, crime-ridden neighborhood. This is the same neighborhood Starr’s parents grew up in, and the neighborhood of the Carter’s family-owned grocery store. However, Starr, along with her two brothers, are sent to the wealthy, primarily white private school, Williamson Prep.

Starr struggles to understand who she is or who she should be: “Williamson Starr” versus “Garden Heights Starr.” She constantly feels like she has to put on a different face depending on whom she is with.

Starr finds herself in a tragic situation when she witnesses a white police officer shoot her childhood friend, Khalil, in what should have been a routine traffic stop. After losing yet another friend to gun violence, Starr begins to unravel. She is angry, confused, and struggling to find her voice among the madness in which she finds herself.

Stenberg did a phenomenal job capturing real life conflicts many young people are facing today. The emotions Stenberg and her fellow cast members conveyed in the film were visibly felt by the audience.

Brilliantly relevant to society’s current struggle with gun violence, police brutality, and race conflicts, The Hate U Give sheds light onto an all too known reality. The film accurately portrayed the battle of balancing personal identity with group identity, a battle so many are faced with in everyday life.

The Hate U Give image

The Hate U Give image

The title of the film, The Hate U Give, reflects the overall theme of the movie. “THUG LIFE,” an acronym created by rapper/hip-hop artist Tupac Shakur, stands for “The Hate U Give Little Infants Eff’s Everybody.” The acronym acts as a constant reminder that the hate, discrimination, and violence people deal out to society, especially the young people, has a terribly negative impact on society as a whole.

The Hate U Give is just one of the many thought provoking and culturally relevant films Student Life and the Institute for Race, Justice, and Civic Engagement have shown. The next film will be Rape in the Fields, a documentary on the rape of female immigrant field laborers. The film will be held on Monday, March 18, from 1–3 p.m. in Room 201 in Pavilion 4 and is highly recommended.
The Hate U Give image

The Hate U Give image

1 Comment

One Response to “MC Movie: The Hate U Give”

1. Richelle Adu on March 6th, 2019 1:57 pm

The movie was very educational and really showcased what a lot of people are going through right now. Amazing review !

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• MC Movie: The Hate U Give

Opinion

Ariana Grande Breaks Hearts and Records with “thank u, next”

• MC Movie: The Hate U Give

Events

The Arts at MC: Spreading Positivity through Student Paint Nite

• MC Movie: The Hate U Give

Events

Run, Hide, Fight: MC Efforts to Raise Awareness of Active Shooter Situations

• MC Movie: The Hate U Give

Culture

The Tragically Short, But Well-Lived Life of Nipsey Hussle

• MC Movie: The Hate U Give

Culture

Earth Day 2019: A Celebration of What We Have to Lose

• MC Movie: The Hate U Give

Culture

Today in History: Legendary Boxer Muhammad Ali Refuses Draft

• Culture

MC Food: A Vast Array of Multicultural Celebration

• MC Movie: The Hate U Give

Culture

My Denim, My Body, My Choice

• MC Movie: The Hate U Give

Events

Reptiles Alive at MC!

• MC Movie: The Hate U Give

Culture

Alternative Universities for MC Students

The Student News Site of Montgomery College
MC Movie: The Hate U Give