Montgomery College Excalibur

Filed under Culture, News

The End for the Cafritz Art Library

The Art Library is an exclusive asset to the The Morris and Gwendolyn Cafritz Foundation Arts Center.

Okole Bashonga

Okole Bashonga

The Cafritz Art Library, an asset to the Takoma Park/Silver Spring campus, will be closing on December 14 of this year, after the fall semester comes to a close.

Based on recent past studies conducted by the Montgomery College Library, most people go to the Cafritz Art Library for either computer use or a place to study. Since those two activities do not require that the area be a library, the decision has been made to scrap and transform it into a more efficient place for students.

“The space could be a computer lab or a study nook,” said Tanner Wray. “And meet the needs of the majority of the users of what is currently the art library.”

Wray, who is the director of library and information services, went on to explain that not many students check out or use materials, or ask the librarian research questions, all of which are deemed library-specific functions.

In 2017, there were no reference questions asked that required the librarian’s expertise, and less than 4 percent of the items checked out of all MC Library locations were checked out of the Cafritz Art Library. It only makes sense to redesign.

Okole Bashonga
One of the arguments that supports the closing of the Library is that the only four percent of the books were checked out.

“We do understand that this will be less convenient for those who are used to accessing the materials in the Cafritz building, and we certainly sympathize,” Wray said. “However, looking at the data, it becomes clear that this move will affect a relatively small number of users.”

After the closing, all materials in the Cafritz Art Library will be redirected to the main library located in the Resource Center, where the students impacted can access them. Assistance with research questions, including art-related topics, will be offered to students at the center as well.

The Visual, Performing, and Media Arts Department, led by Dean Frank Trezza, will make the official decision about how to rework the area after getting students’ input and finding out what they would like it to be.

How do you feel about the art library closing? We want to hear from you! For the chance to be featured in our follow-up story on this matter, please come to visit The Excalibur in the Student Life Office, located in the Charlene R. Nunley Student Services Center. You can also reach us by going to https://mcexcalibur.com/contact-the-editors/, and filling out the form if you cannot make it to the office in person.

1 Comment

One Response to “The End for the Cafritz Art Library”

1. Marlon Bennett on October 23rd, 2018 12:54 pm

What an Incredibly and well written article.

This is also sort of sad.because many people still feel more comfortable studying in s library
    Type setting

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• The End for the Cafritz Art Library

Culture

Jun Lee: Carved in Wood and Stone

• The End for the Cafritz Art Library

News

From memory to the stage: “The Glass Menagerie” Recreation Review

• The End for the Cafritz Art Library

News

Q&A with David Rothman director of ‘The Glass Menagerie’

• The End for the Cafritz Art Library

News

Hocus Pocus MC on Focus!

• The End for the Cafritz Art Library

News

Giving back to the world, 2018 Volunteer Fair!

• The End for the Cafritz Art Library

News

Welcome Back Tips

• The End for the Cafritz Art Library

News

The Birth of Excalibur Newspaper

• The End for the Cafritz Art Library

Culture

Brown is Beautiful – James Lepinsky Contreras

• The End for the Cafritz Art Library

Culture

Love is a Plant – James Lepinsky Contreras

• The End for the Cafritz Art Library

Culture

The Bard’s Corner

The Student News Site of Montgomery College
The End for the Cafritz Art Library