The Student News Site of Montgomery College

Montgomery College Excalibur

Montgomery College Excalibur

Montgomery College Excalibur

Council Member Dawn Luedtke Meets with MC Students

Dawn Luedtke addresses the council. Photo credit, Courtesy of Dawn Luedtke.

On Wednesday, March 27, 2024, District 7 Council Member, Dawn Luedtke, met with five Montgomery College students via Zoom.

Each student was given the opportunity to share their educational journey at MC, the impact that being an MC student has had on their lives, and their hopes for the future of Montgomery College.

“There’s a lot of informal learning that happens during this period of time,” Luedtke said, emphasizing the role deep connections at college play in the lives of students.

Of her own time in college, she said, “The opportunity to learn from people from all over the world was very valuable.”

Elected to the Montgomery County Council in 2022, Luedtke was a first-generation college student and is a graduate of the University of Pennsylvania.

She has a long history of advocacy work which included serving on the Youth & Families Subcommittee of the Governor’s Commission to Study Mental & Behavioral Health. She currently serves on the Council’s Public Safety and Health and Human Services Committees.

Joshua Hayes, president of the Germantown Campus Student Government Association led the meeting.

“My biggest take away from our meeting with Council member Dawn Luedtke is that she is authentically aware of the plight of the Montgomery College student,” said Hayes. “She was relatable and made me and the other student advocates feel heard.”