The Student News Site of Montgomery College

Montgomery College Excalibur

Montgomery College Excalibur

Montgomery College Excalibur

MC’s Newly Created Fashion Club

Fashion club members took to the runway during their fashion show on April 24.

Zora Guise, a first-year nursing student at MC, started the club this semester because she originally wanted to take classes in fashion at MC, but there was neither a fashion program of study nor fashion classes for students at MC.   

During the pandemic, Guise had time and discovered her fashion style by creating pieces and getting hands-on information about fashion.   

She thinks the clothing trend includes streetwear and baggy jeans, and bows on clothing.  Fur boots and sneakers are also well-liked footwear while silver jewelry is popular. 

Fashion club members watch and practice an illustration being drawn on the whiteboard. (Photo credit, Sreyansh Chilaka)   

In summary, fashion includes statement-making choices of clothing, footwear, jewelry, hair styles, make-up, colors, and more, said Guise.    

“Fashion is how you express yourself,” said Guise.

Francisca Ndjocke, Henri illustrating how to sketch a croquis. (Photo credit, Sreyansh Chilaka)

The Fashion Club’s mission is to bring together students who love creating, designing, exploring, and learning about fashion.   

There is some learning that goes on during fashion club meetings and some students who participated in the fashion show made their own outfits from scratch.

Guise said she hopes it will be a safe space for people who love to learn and talk about fashion. The club’s beginning weekly themes include personal style, high fashion, street fashion, and sustainable fashion.  

The fashion club met on Wednesdays from 3:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. in ST, 214. February 7 was the club’s first meeting.     

Starting a club at MC involves only six steps for students who have at least a 2.00 GPA and are taking at least 3 credits.  

• First, identify an interest and complete a Start a Club Request form from the Office of Student Life
  • Meet with Mia Price, the Student Life Specialist, for discussion.   
  • Find people to serve as club officers for President, Vice-President, and Secretary and Treasurer.   
  • Identify a faculty or staff member on campus to serve as the club’s advisor.   
  • Complete electronic forms and online training.   
  • Finally, receive official notification of the club’s status within 48 hours.