The Student News Site of Montgomery College

Montgomery College Excalibur

Montgomery College Excalibur

Montgomery College Excalibur

The Latino Student Union holds a Culture Fair at Montgomery College

Montgomery College recently hosted the Latino Student Union (LSU) Culture Fair at the Charlene R. Nunley Student Services Center Atrium on Sept. 15, aiming to honor and promote the diverse Latino heritage within the college community.  

Eliana Hernandez, a nursing major, presented a poem written by her father, expressing love for his homeland, El Salvador.  

“My father’s poem was born from missing his homeland and reminiscing about good times,” Hernandez said, explaining her motivation behind sharing her father’s poem. “That was his way of expressing his love and appreciation to his country.”  

Vasilisa Tarasova ESL Darion Callery Graphic Design, Neville Pascal John Ayi Animation network at the Hispanic heritage month event at Montgomery college Takoma Park. (Photo credit, Sreyansh Chilaka)

Hernandez highlighted the poem’s reflection on the history and impact of Hispanic heritage. She talked about her gratitude for the opportunity to share the poem, underscoring her father’s deep connection to El Salvador despite the challenges he faced, leaving behind a cherished life upon immigrating to the United States. 

Tiffany Pozo-Lin, a biological sciences major, aided in interpreting the poem for non-Spanish speakers, enhancing its accessibility. 

“The sentiment and patriotism really resonated with me. When there was an opening for a translator, I jumped at the opportunity” Pozo-Lin said, “My father and I are passionate about translating from Spanish so that the original meanings of a text are still present, and we translated it with the intention to share the power and emotion of the poem to those who couldn’t understand its original Spanish. I was excited to be able to share Hernandez’s father’s work with everyone who attended the fair.” 

Jack Casimir Engineering socializing at the Hispanic heritage month event at Montgomery college Takoma Park. (Photo credit, Sreyansh Chilaka)

Attendees were given the chance to have a one-on-one educational session at tables containing informational displays and various artifacts from over 12 represented countries, including Salvadorian sculptures made from seashells that were fashioned into the likenesses of birds and flowers.  

These displays showcased trinkets such as traditional clothing, historical documents, and symbolic items, offering attendees a glimpse into the distinct cultures and histories across Latin America. This curation allowed for a visual journey through the diversity of these nations, encouraging visitors to appreciate and understand key facts about those countries.  

Jury Medrano, Business major explaining her stall at the Hispanic heritage month event at Montgomery college Takoma Park. (Photo credit, Sreyansh Chilaka)

A display of a variety of dishes representing different countries, including pupusas from El Salvador and quesadillas from Mexico, was offered where attendees had the chance to experience the different flavors of Hispanic cuisine.

The fair also featured a traditional dance performance by LSU members, their silent yet expressive movements evoking various interpretations among onlookers. A dance move incorporating a sweeping motion over the ground was defined as the collection of fallen items by some while others interpreted it as cleaning. 

“Our dance reflects pride in our heritage and our deep ties to our home country. Performing showcased my cultural pride, educating about our country, and my love for El Salvador.” Pozo-Lin said, illustrating her passion for using dance as a means to represent her cultural heritage. She stressed the importance of sharing Latino heritage, hoping it inspired pride in unique backgrounds and broadened perspectives on campus. 

View Comments (1)